10 Design Tips for Small Kitchens
If you’re ready for a kitchen renovation but worried about having limited space to work with, take a deep breath—there are plenty of innovative ideas and stunning features that can make your small kitchen feel like the biggest room in your home. Kitchen renovations aren’t about the size of your space, but rather the way you use your space; square footage doesn’t come into play here. By using the design tips below, you can create the kitchen of your dreams without needing to change your home’s layout completely or knock down any walls.
Small Kitchen Design Ideas
- Mirrored cabinets and backsplashes – Adding mirrors to a smaller room to make it appear larger may be one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it works. Mirrors create the illusion that your cabinets and walls continue into another dimension, bringing light and openness to your kitchen.
- Lighter cabinets – Your cabinets are undoubtedly the centerpiece of your kitchen—for both fashion and function. Choosing a lighter shade of wood for your custom cabinets or painting them white can bring brightness to your entire kitchen.
- Tall seating – When you want to have a space to eat in your kitchen but don’t have room for a full dining set, consider lining up stools alongside a countertop or include a high-top table. This can create a cozy breakfast nook without sacrificing space.
- Compact island – For many homeowners, an island is a crucial component to have in the kitchen—for food prep, entertaining, and more. However, if your kitchen doesn’t have room for a large island, consider a small island that can double as a table. For even more flexibility, purchase a rolling cart with shelves. This provides extra storage and prep space while also giving you the ability to move it out of the way as needed.
- Cabinet accessories – As mentioned above, a smart kitchen depends more on adaptability than it does on size. The amount of cabinets doesn’t matter—the way you use them does. When you add accessories to your cabinets, such as a lazy Susan or drawers made for specific appliances, you can keep everything organized and avoid clutter.
- Stacked cabinets – If you have a lot of stuff without much space, stack cabinets all the way to the ceiling and use them for storing dishes you only take out on special occasions. Adding a rolling ladder (like the ones you see in old libraries) can not only help you reach the top cabinets, but also add a dash of whimsy to your kitchen.
- Stainless steel appliances – Nothing adds class and cohesion to a kitchen like stainless steel. By reflecting light and staying spotless, stainless steel appliances bring the timelessness and functionality you need for a kitchen that’ll last for years to come.
- Color – As simple as it sounds, creating a cohesive color palette is essential in enhancing your kitchen’s look and feel. The colors you choose for your cabinets and countertops can dramatically change your perception of space. Even choosing cooking utensils and appliances in an inviting color can add a personal touch to your kitchen. After all, why wouldn’t you want to keep your red stand mixer or yellow Dutch oven on display?
- Contrast and accents – For personality and visual interest, contrast and accents can make a world of difference in the appearance of your kitchen. Whether it’s adding a black and white wall behind your stove or incorporating pops of color with fun knobs and pulls, there are endless ways to make your kitchen stand out.
- Creative solutions – If your home has structural elements that just seem to get in the way, use them to your advantage instead of letting them ruin your vision of a perfect kitchen. Awkward support column in the way? Add shelves or wine cubbies for storage. Exposed pipes? Make them a part of your urban chic look by installing a subway tile backsplash.
Kitchen Renovation and Custom Cabinet Design in MD, DC & VA
When you’re planning a kitchen renovation, it can be a bit overwhelming to know where to start. At Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens in Rockville, MD, we walk you through every step of the design and remodeling process to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your kitchen. Our custom cabinets are beautifully designed and built to last, and we guarantee that you’ll find the style you’re looking for. You’ve waited for your dream kitchen long enough—make it a reality with Jack Rosen Custom Kitchens! To find inspiration for your kitchen renovation project, check out our online gallery.
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom in Rockville, MD
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now