Classic & Traditional Kitchen Design in MD, DC & Northern VA
With cabinets reminiscent of furniture from the 18th and 19th centuries, traditional kitchens embody an old world feel and style. If you like detailed trim work, curved edges, and natural materials like wood and stone, a traditional kitchen design is what you’re looking for. Traditional or classic kitchens are timeless and can be found in every type of home—from condos and row houses in Washington, DC, to single-family homes in the Maryland suburbs and historic estates in Northern Virginia.
There are a few different types of traditional or classic kitchen styles you can choose from—or even combine elements from each to create a kitchen unique to you. Whether you’re remodeling your kitchen or building a new home, our award-winning designers will transform your existing kitchen into a traditional space that enhances the beauty of your home.
To learn more about traditional kitchen design, contact us online or call 301-363-4064 today!
For classic, timeless kitchen design ideas, visit our traditional kitchen photo gallery.
What Are the Characteristics of a Classic or Traditional Kitchen Design?
What really makes a kitchen classified as traditional or classic is the detailing and use of natural materials. Most surfaces and trim work feature intricate detailing and embellishments like fluting, columns, beadboard, or even a coffered ceiling. Classic or traditional kitchens are exceptionally popular in the Washington, DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia areas and can be tweaked to fit any homeowner’s personal taste. Some characteristics of a traditional kitchen include:
- Natural materials like hardwood and natural stone
- Glass or open cabinetry and shelving
- Crown molding
- Antique or vintage elements
- Neutral or muted tones
- More texture and detailing in trim work
- Intricate handles and knobs
- Cabinets with recessed or raised panels
- Rustic or old-world elements like solid, weathered hardwood
Types of Traditional Kitchens
Within the traditional or classic style, there are specific types and looks you may want to go for. Some of these include, but aren’t limited to:
- Old world formal: Old world formal, or European, kitchens use luxurious wood cabinets like cherry or mahogany and frequently feature marble countertops and coffered ceilings. In these kitchens, you can find chandeliers and brass or crystal fixtures, as well as intricately carved embellishments. This design is typically thought of as impressive, grand, and luxurious.
- Farmhouse informal: Farmhouse kitchens are a type of rustic traditional kitchen that feature lots of down-home natural wood and unpolished metals. They are frequently rustic and have unpretentious designs, as well as large, deep farmhouse sinks that can hold a lot of dishes after a big family meal. You can always find lots of countertop space in farmhouse kitchens, as well as appliances that can handle cooking for a large amount of people.
- Cottage kitchen: While farmhouse kitchens can be described as comfortable, cottage kitchens can be described as quaint and cozy. A type of country traditional kitchen, you can usually find scalloped trim work and white cabinets, floral fabrics, and distressed metal or porcelain fixtures in cottage style kitchens. Appliances are frequently antiqued or refurbished, and tables and islands can be vintage or distressed.
Custom Cabinetry for Traditional or Classic Kitchens
Installing custom cabinets to complement your traditional kitchen design is what will set your space apart from your neighbors. Classic and traditional kitchens are extremely popular, so you don’t want your guests to comment that they have the exact same cabinets as you! Having traditional kitchen cabinets—in whatever classic style you choose—designed specifically for your space will help eliminate clutter and focus attention on the embellishments and details of your look.
Whether you’re remodeling or renovating your kitchen in Maryland, Northern Virginia, or Washington, DC, you can have a traditional kitchen design that is still as unique as you are. Our designers are experts at transforming your lifestyle, wants, and must-haves into your dream classic kitchen. There’s no one better than the Jack Rosen team to interpret your style and personality and work to produce a custom classic kitchen design that will be the pride and joy of your home. The design team remains with you throughout the entire project, making tweaks if unexpected problems come up.
Schedule a Traditional or Classic Kitchen Remodel in MD, DC, or Northern VA
To view our styles and design work first-hand, come visit our showroom in Rockville, MD. We’ll be happy to walk through all of our designs and help you find the traditional or classic kitchen that’s perfect for you.
If you’re ready to schedule a consultation and make the first step toward your dream traditional or classic kitchen in the DC metro area, contact us online or call 301-363-4071 today!
Tell Us About Your Project Ideas
Check Out Our Showroom
Address12223 Nebel Street
Showroom HoursMon. – Fri.9am – 6pm
Saturday10am – 4pm
Thinking of remodeling your home? We have a collection of FREE downloads to help you choose the best options for YOUR home.Download Now